It’s been about 3 months since we went email free on Fridays in my department. I promised I’d let you know how it goes…and it goes great! What we’re finding is that being email free on just this one day a week is helping most of us be more conscious of how many emails we send during the rest of the week. It also makes me aware of how much information is really necessary and how much is just noise.
Here are 3 quick ways you can turn down the volume on your inbox:
1. Don’t hit the “reply all” button to any email, especially ones that list more than 2 people in the “To” field.
2. Unless your question needs some sort of “documentation,” pick up the phone and call the person.
3. Turn your computer speakers off and minimize your email window so you’re not tempted by the new messages popping up.
Below are some comments from staff in my department on how they feel about Email Free Fridays:
- …it opens up a dialogue we might never have had.
- I really like the e-mail free Fridays. It allows me to catch up and clean up my messages and be prepared for the influx of messages for the upcoming week.
- I think having a day without the constant demand of e-mails that have to be dealt with free us so we can catch up with paperwork, put together reports and… have extra precious time for planning, which is the heart of what we do in our department.
- Please–YES–email free Fridays
Take the plunge–go email free on Fridays! It may sound scary, but you’ll love yourself (and others) for it!
Ever feel like so much “communication” is coming at you but no one is really talking? Ever feel like you can’t keep up with the email doorbell ringing at you while you’re fiercly trying to catch up on the project that has been waiting for your attention? I do. And many people in the department I direct do as well. And tomorrow morning we’re doing something about it. We’re officially adopting “Email Free Fridays” within our department. That means NO emails to be sent inter-departmentally. Instead, we’ll insist that you find the fellow staff member you need info from–call her on the phone, seek him out in at his desk–but NO email. Let’s talk to each other again! I’ll let you know how it goes. Here are a few links to info about other companies who are encouraging email-free-Fridays and finding it to be successful…